Tuesday, April 7, 2009

One year anniversary - You've come a LONG way, baby!

One year ago today in Guangzhou China, we met our sweet Eliana ZuGuo face to face for the very first time. What a long way she has come in so many ways! One year, almost 9,000 miles and 2 surgeries later we can not imagine our lives without our little girl in our family. I will try to post more pictures over the next week. Here are a few photos from April 7th last year and over the past few weeks to show just how much she has grown and changed over the past year - WOW!





Today, April 7, 2009, in her "Gotcha" day outfit from one year ago for comparison.
She has had a 30% increase in body weight and 13% increase in height over the past year. She now weighs 25 pounds and is 34" tall.


She still loves lollipops and can still be bribed with them! After the Purim Carnival, March 8, 2009



Ben and Eliana April 7, 2008 - they both look so little to me now.



Ben's and Eliana March 29, 2009 at Ben's piano recital - they have BOTH changed a lot in a year!



It is a big deal that she can now make this "O" shape with her lips!



Waiting for Ben so we can go home.



Ben and Eliana - Mount Vernon, March 2009. Eliana's height = Ben's inseam!




With a special friend (thanks for the sweater, glad you got a new one too)! Hope is 3 months older and a full head taller than Eliana!



Eliana can often be found performing - singing, dancing, or being generally entertaining.

Eliana in her Purim puppy mask (made at preschool), March 2009



Cutting a rug at the preschool Purim Party, March 2009 (Queen Esther disguised as Princess Jasmine from the Aladdin movie - as close to Persian as I could get) !


Our princess, dressed for the temple Purim carnival, March 2009



My friend and fellow adoptive mom, Monica, lives in California and hand knit this cap for Eliana and mailed it to us. Eliana loves it - she often just wears it around the house! (By the way, I got a great cap, too - thanks Monica)!





Bundled up for first big snow day, March 2, 2009. Her favorite knit cap is under the fleece hat which is under hood. She is also wearing two pairs of socks, two pairs of pants, two shirts, a snow bib and a coat!

Eliana's crazy balloon static hair, with cousin Drew at Red Robin on April 4, 2009



We are now potty training - thus the panties and no pants. (Did I mention that she loves her cap?) I know she is not supposed to sit like this, but she does it no matter how many times I rearrange her legs.

Looking back to one year ago today:





First family photo - April 7, 2008 with Director Tang of Qingyuan SWi & an Ayi (auntie/nanny)



First night with us - putting her to sleep in the Ergo carrier, April 7, 2008



One year with our family! Today - April 7, 2009


We are so happy to have Eliana in our family! She makes us laugh each and every day. She is so full of personality and has a great sense of humor. Her determination and persistance (stubborness, even?) will serve her well. She can sometimes be a challenge to parent, but she is always a joy and keeps us on our toes for sure!
This is just the beginning of many happy years together!
Love, Laura Beth and the Cohns

12 comments:

Shelli said...

YEAH!!!!!!
Happy Gotcha Day Beautiful Girl!

I am so happy for all of you. I am so glad that even though we are far away we can share this wonderful experience with you!

All our love-
Shelli, Jason, Rou Rou and Hui Hui

Melissa Hermeling said...

I cannot believe it has been a year!!! It is amazing how much she has changed. I not only enjoy reading about you all all the time, but think it is wonderful that you have your entire experience written out. This will be a treasure forever.

I think it is wonderful that you have Eliana potty trained!!! I am sooooo struggling w/ Taylor. She will and then she won't. But we are close I think.

All four of you are beautiful and thank you for sharing your experience with everyone!!!

Love,
Melissa

monica said...

Laura Beth! Oh my goodness, I just can't believe how much Eliana has changed. She is so fabulous and spectacular in every way, and thank you for sharing pictures of the little hat on her head. It literally brought tears to my eyes. BTW, Jasmine wears the same hat around the house all the time. I guess it's just meant for that.

I'm so happy for your family and I know how much richer your lives are with your gorgeous girl. Can't wait for more (of everything...) All my love, Monica

Aus said...

Well what a WONDERFUL UPDATE!! It's really hard for me to believe that it's been a year since you guys were in country - how I remember following your journey - and since then - your adventure! It's times like this when I want to stop and say 'thank you' for sharing yourselves with us! There is a great family out here - and we're all a part of it! And I'm really wondering - at least in appearance - who's change the most Eliana or Ben? :>

We're just so happy for you guys - what a wonderful family - lots of joy here!

love and hugs to all - aus and co.

Nicole said...

LB! WOW!!! April 7th is special for us as well! It's our Jake's adoption anniversary! We celebrated 6 years this year! Time goes by so fast!

:-)
-Nicole
www.bakerssweets.blogspot.com

Waiting for Emily said...

Happy Gotcha Day!! She is beautiful!! We just got the call last Tue for our baby girl born with a cl & cp as well. Her cl was repaired at 5 mo. we get to meet our little one very soon and would love to chat with you about your trip to China :-) We are so excited and love reading your blog and seeing your little cutie pie grow up!!

Sheri_n_Ben said...

Laura Beth, Wow what a terrific update!! So awesome. I read every word of it. The pictures are great. I agree, it is hard to tell who has changed more, they have both grown and matured so much since Gotcha Day. I remember stalking your blog for Gotcha pics as though it was yesterday. It's hard to believe a whole year has already passed.
Congratulations Eliana on your Gotcha Day anniversary.
Love ya,
Sheri (Leilah Di's Mommy)

Anonymous said...

A year already, hard to believe. Eliana is a very lucky little girl to have such a great family. Enjoy both of your blessings.
Love,
Sara

Laurie said...

It's been such a GREAT year and I am so happy we have been part of it! We LOVE Eliana and all of you Cohns.
Laurie

Marcy said...

Isn't it amazing how much they change in a year? She is just precious and made great strides. Happy Family Day Eliana!!

Marcy in KY

Sammy said...

She is so cute! I have three from GSWI.

ssummers46 said...

I love your blog. I am wondering if you can tell me about the photo of the girl holding the "red thread" on the bridge. I would love to get the print. My email is erin.summers@nurs.utah.edu.

Thanks,Erin